A Brief History of First Lutheran Church
1888 Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church is organized in John Reirson’s store.
1889 The Church is built on S. Wisconsin St.
1890 Sunday School organizes with 20 students.
1891 Ladies Aid organizes with 8 members.
1921 The Church changes from the use of Norwegian in worship to English.
1922 Name changed to First English Lutheran. Relocation of Church to Third and Duff.
1948 The congregation votes to build a new Church at 5th and Duff.
1950 The new Church is dedicated on May 7th.
1956 Pipe Organ dedicated. Concert by Merle Pflueger.
1961 Stained Glass Windows are dedicated.
1974 The Education Building is dedicated on Nov. 3rd
1975 First Lutheran Child Learning Center is incorporated.
1978 Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota opens an office at First Lutheran.
1988 First Lutheran celebrates its Centennial.
1994 The parsonage is demolished and a new parking lot is installed.
1998 The church offices are moved to the remodeled first floor of the Education Wing. The Parish Nurse Ministry is established.
2005 The sanctuary audio/visual system receives significant upgrades through memorial gifts.
2006 Restoration of the sanctuary stained glass windows is completed.
2007 Ground is broken in November for the new Family Life Center Addition.
2009 The Family Life Center is dedicated in February. Restoration on the pipe organ is started.
2011 The Lower Level Education Space is completed and ready for Sunday School Use. The private property on the southeast corner is cleared to expand the preschool playground and for additional parking.